2006-07-13

Driving Miss Daisy

Today is the second time in as many days that I have come close to being killed. Or at least moderately injured. "How?" you might ask? By little old ladies.

Yesterday, I was stopped at an intersection- well behind the line, I might add - when a woman who could barely see over the steering wheel, made a left turn onto my road (and completely crossed through my lane to get there) missing my fender by no less than an inch!

This morning on my way to work, I came over the crest of a large hill to realize a car was traveling entirely in my lane while trying to pass bicyclists. Luckily, I was able to swerve into a driveway and narrowly miss a head-on collision.

Now before the AARP starts stalking me - I don't believe older drivers should lose their licenses or be required to take a new driver's test. I'm all for personal liberties and I certainly wouldn't want to generalize an entire generation of drivers. But considering the extraordinary changes a body goes through as we age, I wonder if it would make sense for the DMV to at least evaluate a driver in their car upon license renewal. Check to be sure they can actually see over the wheel, and if not, assist in adjusting the seat or offering some kind of wedge/booster. Also, ensure they can reach the pedals or don't have new blind spots. Small things that might realize greater driving safety and success.

I'm really not sure there is an appropriate or respectful solution but I'd welcome any ideas.

No comments: